Continuing an annual Thanksgiving tradition, here is a list from the top of my head and the bottom of my heart of specific reasons to “enter into His gates with thanksgiving…”
I am thankful for the relationship that I have with the God of this universe through His son, Jesus Christ. Time and time again He has shown Himself wise, loving, faithful, and just.
- For my wife of 35 years. It has been an incredible, adventurous journey as together we have followed Him, walking under His Lordship. (Jeanne says that it has been 34 of the happiest years of her life. There have been around 365 “Men are stupid days.” 🙂 )
- For two daughters and two sons-in-love, Wendy and Kevin and Beth and Derrick, who bring great pride to this man’s life.
- For the fact that my tribe of grandchildren has tripled since last Thanksgiving. Added to four year-old Madeline was her little sister, McKenna Joy on February 1, and their cousin Elizabeth Joyce on April 1. This terrific trio brings more joy to this man’s heart than I can even begin to describe.
- For at least 21,039 Tennesseans whose lives have been transformed by the grace and goodness of God and baptized in TBC churches.
- For a wonderful Missions and Ministry Team that I have the privilege of working with every day.
- For an outstanding Executive Assistant and dear friend, Phyllis Bates.
- For the addition to the TBC Missions and Ministry Team of a great servant leader in Dr. Bobby Welch.
- For the joy of traveling to nearly every corner of Tennessee, preaching in so many churches, and finding God’s people faithful to the task.
- For the privilege of meeting hundreds of anointed and faithful pastors.
- For Chairman Danny Sinquefield and the Vision 2021 Team as they help bring clarity of vision, unity of purpose, and the purity of the Gospel to our anticipated preferred future as a fellowship of churches.
- For Dr. Poly Rouse and his great leadership as President of our TBC during the past 18 months, and for Dr. Fred Shackelford, our new president for the coming year.
- For the fact that the beloved church I left over a year ago now has a new pastor shepherd in Dr. Dan Spencer.
- For the solid leadership that Dr. David Green gives as president of our Executive Board, and for all of those good and godly men and women serving on our Board.
- As a good example that there are always second chances, as I write this article it looks like the Alabama Crimson Tide will get another shot at the LSU Tigers—this time for the national championship!!!
It is a joy to be on this journey with you dear people.